I have been really loving the Sublime Text editor lately. It’s quick, featureful, and extensible. I created a plugin that will build and run C# snippets from inside the editor.
I write a lot of C#, and I often find myself wanting to check the behavior of a certain method or operator. My go-to tool for this has been SnippetCompiler, but now I’m trying to eliminate as many reasons for leaving my editor as possible. So, I created a plugin for Sublime Text that is inspired by SnippetCompiler - it takes the selected text and shoves it inside the main routine of a simple C# console app, builds it, and runs it. You can customize the “usings” and the boilerplate code auto-inserted at the end of the
Main routine (currently prints a short message and reads a key).
You can find the plugin on GitHub. Details follow.
Enter the CSharpreter Sublime Text plugin
CSharpreter compiles and executes fragments of C# code. The currently-selected text (or entire contents of the view, if no text is selected) is injected into the body of the Main routine of a C# console application. MSBuild is invoked and the executable is run in a shell window. This plugin has only been tested on Windows, but may be compatible with Mono’s XBuild.
With the default settings, your code will be injected into a program defined as follows:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
- CSharpreter: Interpret - Execute the currently-selected text, or with no selected text, the entire contents of the view.
- CSharpreter: Cleanup - Delete the %temp%\CSharpreter folder, where temporary source and binaries are written.
In the CSharpreter package folder, edit c_sharpreter.sublime-settings file to modify the defaults.
- msbuild_path - Path to the MSBuild executable
- default_usings - List of namespaces to inject at the top of the source file.
- main_end - List of statements to inject at the end of the Main method.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Clone this repository into your Sublime Text packages folder.
Windows 7 / Vista and above
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sublime Text 2\Packages